At the invitation of President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin, President of the Republic of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte paid an official visit to Russia on May 22–24, 2017. Negotiations with Vladimir Putin were held on May 23, 2017.
Russian-Philippine negotiations were held in an atmosphere of friendship and understanding. The Parties expressed satisfaction with the recently increased cooperation in various fields. They reviewed thoroughly the prospects of further enhancement of the Russian-Philippine cooperation in priority areas. The Parties exchanged their views on the pressing issues of regional and international agenda.
1. Vladimir Putin and Rodrigo Duterte assessed the first visit of the Philippine leader as an important event for promoting comprehensive bilateral cooperation as well as making progress in ensuring stability, security and sustainable development in the Asia-Pacific region.
2. The Heads of State were unanimous that the bilateral agreements signed between the Russian Federation and the Republic of the Philippines during this visit are meant to become a solid ground for further promotion of cooperation between the two countries based on mutual respect of sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity, non-interference in one another's internal affairs, equality and mutual benefit. Cooperation between the two countries is meant to contribute to the creation of an equitable, interdependent and multipolar world based on the respect for the objectives and principles of the United Nations Charter and on fundamental rules of international law.
3. The Presidents of Russia and the Philippines came to a mutual understanding that the arrangements reached during the high-level talks would promote a steady development of the entire network of ties between the two States.
4. The Parties reaffirmed their intention to continue the practice of visits at all levels with a view to comparing their approaches to pressing international issues.
5. The Parties believe it is important to expand trade, economic and socio-cultural cooperation giving priority to the promotion of joint projects and initiatives in the sectors of science and technology, agriculture, energy, transport, education, culture and sports.
6. The Parties attach great importance to the launch of the Joint Russian-Philippine Commission on Trade and Economic Cooperation which held its first meeting in Manila on April 28, 2017.
7. The Heads of State agreed to step up joint efforts to counter global threats, including international terrorism, cross-border crime and drug trafficking, to establish practical cooperation in the military-technical area, emergency response, maritime security, consistent with each Party’s obligations to international maritime law, and international information security, as well as on the search for collective solutions to these and other common challenges within the United Nations and other multilateral and regional organizations.
8. The Heads of State expressed their readiness to take further measures to expand and boost mutually beneficial inter-regional ties and realize the considerable potential for cooperation in this area.
9. The Parties reiterated their readiness to further enhance cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region and on the international arena on the whole aimed at the creation of favorable conditions for economic growth of both States and contributing to maintaining peace and stability in Southeast Asia and the Asia-Pacific region.
In this context, the Parties highlighted their shared determination to foster cooperation within the framework of the East Asia Summit (EAS), the ASEAN Regional Forum, the ASEAN Defense Ministers’ Meetings Plus, the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation, the Asia-Europe Meeting, the Asia Cooperation Dialogue and other regional mechanisms in order to promote multilateral approaches for safeguarding security, enhancing economic growth and promoting sustainable development in the Asia-Pacific region.
The Parties underlined the importance of continuing concerted efforts to shape a security architecture in the Asia-Pacific region which is open, transparent, inclusive, and rules-based in accordance with international law, including the principle of equality, through continuing the relevant EAS dialogue as well as through dialogues in other relevant regional fora.
10. The President of the Russian Federation expressed his support for the efforts by the current Philippines' chairmanship in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in the context of the 50th anniversary of this regional organization celebrated in 2017.
11. The Russian Party highly appreciated the Philippines’ proactive role in the sustained promotion of the ASEAN-Russia Dialogue Partnership. The Parties emphasized their intention to work closely together on making this a strategic partnership in line with the decisions of the ASEAN-Russia Summit in Sochi (May 19–20, 2016), intensifying interaction in such key areas as the improvement of the security architecture and cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region, the fight against terror and transnational crime, development of trade and investments, science, technology, energy, agriculture, culture and other exchanges.
12. The Heads of State agreed to further explore cooperation and liberalization of trade as well as foster a favorable climate for an increase in investment flows between the Eurasian Economic Union and ASEAN in the interests of boosting sustainable and inclusive growth amongst the members of both regional groupings.
The Parties also emphasized the prospects which can be created by multilateral communication and coordination to implement various regional and national frameworks and initiatives, including ASEAN Community Vision 2025 and Eurasian partnership based on the principles of equality, openness and transparency.