Mr Putin crossed the courtyard of the Transport Museum to the banks of the Elbe River and followed the river to the Albertinum Museum.
Not far from the Frauenkirche, the President stopped by a café, where he drank a cup of coffee and looked through the local newspapers. While at the café, Mr Putin was approached by several local residents, construction workers, with whom he had a brief conversation.
Mr Putin then visited the Frauenkirche itself, which was destroyed in the bombing of Dresden in February 1945 and rebuilt after the reunification of Germany.
The President then followed one of the main streets to the market square, moving on from there to the art gallery. There, he was approached by a group of German schoolchildren and their teacher, who were visiting the gallery. Mr Putin spoke with the group, including in Russian. As the President continued his walk, he stopped several more times to talk with local people.
Mr Putin also saw the site where archaeological excavation is being carried out next to the monument to Augustus II on the central square, and visited the Opera building.