The Quadrilateral Meeting of the President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, HE Mr Hamid Karzai, the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, HE Mr Asif Ali Zardari, the President of the Russian Federation, HE Mr Dmitry Medvedev and the President of the Republic of Tajikistan, HE Mr Emomali Rahmon took place on September 2, 2011 at Dushanbe.
During the friendly talks held in an atmosphere of constructive cooperation and mutual understanding, the Heads of the State discussed topical regional issues, main directions and prospects of quadrilateral cooperation taking into consideration its various aspects.
The Presidents of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Russian Federation and the Republic of Tajikistan,
– Underscoring the need for continued and effective implementation of the agreements reached at their meetings on July 30, 2009 in the city of Dushanbe and on August 18, 2010 in the city of Sochi,
– Welcoming the meetings held among the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Ministers of Economy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Russian Federation and the Republic of Tajikistan and establishment of a Joint Expert Group on regional economic cooperation as well as the meeting of the heads of drug control agencies of the four countries:
1. Attach particular significance to the development and strengthening of trade, economic and security relations (combating terrorism, extremism, illegal trafficking of drugs and transnational organised crime) among the four countries and support activities at national, regional and international levels to promote sustainable socioeconomic development and security in the region;
2. State the need for development and strengthening of the quadrilateral economic cooperation including in working out ways and means aimed at enhancing regional trade and implementation of joint projects in energy, transport, communications and infrastructure development;
3. Instruct the Ministries of Economy and other authorised agencies of their countries to take effective steps to expedite drafting of the Road Map for long-term cooperation in the interest of development of trade and economic ties among the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Russian Federation and the Republic of Tajikistan, including the aviation, automobile and railroad communications, provision of regional energy requirements, modernisation of obsolete industry and establishing new production facilities, creating a favourable investment climate and increasing the volume of regional trade;
4. Support efforts by the Government of Afghanistan on national reconciliation, welcome the beginning of the process of transfer of security responsibilities to Afghan forces to ensure security in the country within the “Kabul Process”, and express hope for its successful implementation; support the role of the United Nations in the efforts made by the international community for ensuring stability in Afghanistan and decreasing international forces in the country. The Heads of State emphasise that reduction of foreign military presence in Afghanistan should be accompanied by adequate increase of efforts by the participants of the International Coalition for training and arming Afghan national security agencies, establishment of healthy and sustainable economy in the country;
5. Welcome the initiative of Tajikistan to hold the Fifth Regional Economic Cooperation Conference on Afghanistan (RECCA V) in the city of Dushanbe on March 26–27, 2012, as well as meetings of the business-forum, trade exhibition and the forum of scientists and researchers within its framework;
6. Express their readiness to contribute to establishing active contacts and arranging visits among representatives of political, economic, law enforcement and military agencies of the four countries;
7. Emphasise and encourage attraction of investments in such various fields as energy, transport, communications, construction, mining, chemical and food industries as well as other industrial and agricultural fields and encourage direct contacts among entrepreneurs and business communities of the four countries;
8. Emphasise that further development and expansion of transit transportation and transport corridors promotes regional development and attraction of more foreign investment as well as contributes to implementation of joint cooperation projects. For this purpose, the Presidents underlined importance of accelerating implementation of projects on connecting railways and automobile roads in the region;
9. Approve and emphasise the importance of establishing CASA-1000 power transmission line and express their readiness to speed up the construction of this important regional project and secure required finances;
10. The Parties welcome Russia’s interest in participation in the realization of the project of construction of the gas pipeline Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India;
11. Express their support for constructive cooperation among countries as well as cooperation with international financial institutions in the field of construction of water and energy facilities and attach priority in this sphere to implementation of projects related to renewable sources of energy;
12. Emphasise significance of mutually fruitful cooperation among themselves and with other regional and international organisations in fight against production, smuggling and consumption of drugs and seek to prevent the transit and delivery of precursors to the territory of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan;
13. Reiterate their overall readiness to continue and further strengthen active and effective cooperation among respective agencies to eliminate terrorism, extremism and trans-border organised crime. The Parties note efficiency in this regard of relevant international and regional institutions primarily the SCO and the CSTO, of more active use of the potential of the SCO Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure;
14. Re-emphasise the importance of expansion and strengthening of cooperation in education, sports, culture and training of specialists and appreciate the initiative of the Republic of Tajikistan to establish technical and professional training centres in different fields;
15. Are unanimous on expansion of mutual and comprehensive cooperation with international and regional organisations, including the United Nations, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation;
16. The Presidents express gratitude to Pakistan for its invitation to hold the next meeting of the Presidents of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Russian Federation and the Republic of Tajikistan in Pakistan.
The President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai, the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan Asif Ali Zardari, and the President of the Russian Federation Dmitry Medvedev express to the President of the Republic of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon their gratitude for the warm welcome and cordial hospitality, and underscore the importance of the Dushanbe Quadrilateral Meeting.