At the moment, the Kursk Root Icon of the Holy Virgin of the Sign, a major relic of Russian Orthodoxy brought from New York, is displayed in the Cathedral for the worshipers.
When visiting the Cathedral, the President met with the representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR), including the First Hierarch of the ROCOR, Metropolitan Hilarion of Eastern America and New York.
In 1919 the icon was transferred from Russia abroad and at various periods of time remained in Serbia and Germany until it arrived to the United States in 1951. Since 1957 it is kept in Synod’s Cathedral of the Virgin of the Sign in New York City.
Dmitry Medvedev visited the Cathedral within his working visit to the Kursk region.